AR-BC2D20ERS232 series RS232 Dual 0.15 to 2 Amp Current Regulating Stepper Motor Controller
The AR-BC2D20ERS232 is a complete RS232 controlled Bipolar dual stepper motor controller system. When configured with its preprogrammed PotRouter firmware, it includes the capability of driving one or two bipolar stepper motors using a single USB connection.
The current that is sent to the motors is regulated by the controller using a simple "chopper drive". This technique normally allows for a higher top speed from the motors than you would get operating them at their "nominal" voltage (that is to say, the voltage that would be required to attain the motor's rated current if run through the coils). The actual current used is controlled by your application, with the top current that is available being based on which option your order for the controller:
- 700 mA: Specifies 150 to 700 mA as the supported current range per winding
- 2000 mA: Specifies 150 to 2000 mA (2 amps) as the supported current range per winding
If you are going to be operating at currents above 900 mA, or if you are going to leave the windings on continuously, you will need to cool the board with an 8-10 CFM fan assembly. We do offer that as a separate product, or you can provide your own.
The two connector options ("MTA-100" and "Screw Terminal") control how you connect most TTL I/O and motor wires to the board.
- The 'MTA-100' option specifies use of latching Amp MTA-100 connectors, and is recommended for any production system. When the cables are correctly produced, the MTA-100 is vibration resistant, and is easier to use in a production environment.
- The "Screw Terminal" option specifies use of screw terminals for direct wire connection to the board. This is suggested for anyone who is just doing experiments or is connecting to just one or two motors
The board has ESD protection on most of the TTL inputs (except for the RST line). Note that the protection is only active when the board is connected to a properly grounded power supply, such that the GND connection on the board power connector goes to true earth ground.
The firmware that is used describes the "personality" of the board. You can reprogram the board with either of these firmwares at any time using the supplied firmware update tool. If you like, you may use the cart comments field to request a particular firmware (remember: the BC2D20PotRouter firmware is installed by default, so you only need to do this if you would prefer the BC2DNCRouter firmware to be preinstalled on your board.)
- BC2D20NCRouter (click to see the manual) allows for simultaneous independent asynchronous motion between the motors. This is normally the firmware preprogrammed onto the board at the time of your order.
- BC2D20NCRouter (click to see the manual) allows for pen-plotter-like control, wherein perfect rate scaling is automatically performed between the motors in order to generate the equivalent of straight-line motion if a pen plotter were to be attached.
We Also Recommend