AR-BS1010ESD series USB Dual 1.0 Amp Stepper Motor Controller (not current regulating).
The AR-BS1010ESD is a complete USB controlled Unipolar/Bipolar dual stepper motor controller system. When configured with its preprogrammed GenStepper firmware, it includes the capability of driving one or two stepper motors using a single USB connection, each of which being either unipolar (4-pole) or bipolar (2 pole).
The board is specified as allowing up to 1.0 amps per motor winding when properly cooled, with 6.5 to 15 volt motors supported when in single power supply mode. It also supports a dual power supply feature, wherein the motors use a separate supply from the logic circuits; in this mode, up to a 34 volt power supply may be used for the motors. Please note that this is a non-current-regulating controller. This means that you must supply the correct voltage from your power supply to attain the desired current in the coils.
The two connector options ("MTA-100" and "Screw Terminal") control how you connect most TTL I/O and motor wires to the board.
- The 'MTA-100' option specifies use of latching Amp MTA-100 connectors, and is recommended for any production system. When the cables are correctly produced, the MTA-100 is vibration resistant, and is easier to use in a production environment.
- The "Screw Terminal" option specifies use of screw terminals for direct wire connection to the board. This is suggested for anyone who is just doing experiments or is connecting to just one or two motors
The board has ESD protection on most of the TTL inputs (except for the RST line). Note that the protection is only active when the board is connected to a properly grounded power supply, such that the GND connection on the board power connector goes to true earth ground.
There are two additional assembly options available ("ISO" and "U5V") which control some of the extended power features for the board:
- ISO: This adds a ground isolation system so that most of the board is digitally isolated from the USB system (and hence from the computer ground).
- U5V: This adds the capability of powering the board logic (not the motors) off of the USB connection.
The firmware that is used describes the "personality" of the board. You can reprogram the board with either of these firmwares at any time using the supplied firmware update tool. If you like, you may use the cart comments field to request a particular firmware (remember: the GenStepper firmware is installed by default, so you only need to do this if you would prefer the NCRouter firmware to be preinstalled on your board.)
- GenStepper (click to see the manual) allows for simultaneous independent asynchronous motion between the two motors. This is normally the firmware preprogrammed onto the board at the time of your order.
- NCRouter (click to see the manual) allows for pen-plotter-like control, wherein perfect rate scaling is automatically performed between the motors in order to generate the equivalent of straight-line motion if a pen plotter were to be attached.
We Also Recommend